Chicken & chorizo paella
My quick & easy recipe
Tap For Method
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- ? a bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley , (15g)
- 70 g quality chorizo
- 2 free-range chicken thighs , skin off, bone out
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato pure?e
- 1 organic chicken stock cube
- 300 g paella rice
- 100 g frozen peas
- 200 g frozen peeled cooked prawns , from sustainable sources
- 1 lemon
Tap For Method
Tap For Ingredients
- Peel and finely slice the garlic, peel and roughly chop the onion and carrot. Finely chop the parsley stalks, then roughly chop the chorizo and chicken thighs.
- Put a lug of oil into a large lidded shallow casserole or paella pan on a medium heat, add the garlic, onion, carrot, parsley stalks, chorizo, chicken and paprika, and fry for around 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Deseed and chop the pepper, then add to the pan for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir through the tomato purée and crumble in the stock cube, then add the rice and stir for a couple of minutes so it starts to suck up all that lovely flavour.
- Pour in 750ml of boiling water and add a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Pop the lid on and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly from the outside in and from the inside out, and adding a splash of water if needed.
- Stir in the peas and prawns, replace the lid, and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until hot through.
- Season to perfection, then chop the parsley leaves, scatter them over the paella, and serve with lemon wedges on the side for squeezing over.
My advice here is simple – delicious as this dish is, if you’re feeling a bit flush, adding six mussels, six clams and any extra bits of fish you can afford is only going to make it even more of a celebration.