Tap For Method
- 12 fresh mixed-colour chillies
- 2 aubergines , (500g total)
- 300 g dried wholewheat penne
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 x 400 g tin of quality plum tomatoes
Tap For Method
Tap For Ingredients
- To make a quick chilli oil, halve and deseed the chillies. Fill a clean heatproof jar with olive oil, then pour it into a non-stick frying pan on a medium-low heat and add the chillies to confit.
- Meanwhile, put a pan of boiling salted water on for the pasta. Halve the aubergines lengthways and blanch in the water, covered, for 5 minutes, then lift out, leaving the water on the boil.
- Carefully scoop the soft chillies into the jar, then spoon in the oil, leaving 2 tablespoons in the pan (keep the jar of chilli oil to add a kick to future meals).
- Chop the aubergine into 3cm chunks, add to the pan with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, then turn the heat up to high, stirring regularly.
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions while you peel and finely slice the garlic, then fry with the aubergine for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes, breaking them up with a wooden spoon, and half a tin’s worth of water.
- Add as many of the chillies as you dare to the sauce and simmer until the pasta is ready, then taste and season to perfection.
- Drain the pasta, reserving a mugful of cooking water, then toss the pasta through the sauce, loosening with a little reserved cooking water, if needed. Dish up.