Cooks In1 hour 10 minutes
DifficultyNot too tricky
Nutrition per serving
Of an adult's reference intake
Tap For Method
- 200 g unsalted butter (at room temperature) , plus extra for greasing
- 4 small oranges
- 4 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 200 g golden caster sugar
- 6 heaped tablespoons fine-cut marmalade
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 50 g ground almonds
Tap For Method
Tap For Ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/gas 4. Grease the base and sides of a 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Thinly slice 2 of the oranges. Sprinkle the base of the cake tin with demerara sugar, then arrange the orange slices over the base in a slightly overlapping layer.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar until pale and fluffy, then beat in 3 heaped tablespoons of marmalade, followed by the eggs.
- Fold in the flour, ground almonds and a pinch of sea salt. Finely grate in the zest from the remaining oranges, and squeeze in all the juice and fold through.
- Carefully pour the cake batter into the tin. Place in the oven and bake for about 50 minutes, or until golden and firm to touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to stand for a few minutes. Very carefully, while it’s still slightly warm, turn out the cake onto a serving plate.
- Prick holes in the cake with a skewer. Make a glaze by warming the rest of the marmalade in a pan with a little water. Spoon this over the cake.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with yoghurt, cream or ice cream.