Pomegranate & chicken stew
Cooks In1 hour
DifficultyNot too tricky
Nutrition per serving
Of an adult's reference intake
Tap For Method
- olive oil
- 1 higher-welfare whole chicken , jointed
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 red chilli
- a few sprigs of fresh coriander
- 300 ml tomato passata
- 4 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 200 ml pomegranate juice
- pomegranate seeds
Tap For Method
Tap For Ingredients
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a casserole over a medium heat. Season the chicken with sea salt, black pepper and the paprika, then brown in the hot oil for 7 to 8 minutes. Remove the pieces to a plate and set aside.
- Peel and slice the onions, peel and finely chop the garlic. Finely slice the chilli and finely chop the coriander.
- In the same pan, add another splash of oil with the onions. Stir well, being sure to catch the sticky bits at the bottom of the pan. Cook slowly for 15 minutes, till onions are soft, adding the garlic, chilli and coriander for the last 5 minutes.
- Stir in the passata, molasses and pomegranate juice, season well, then bring to the boil.
- Return the chicken with any juices to the pan, cover and lower the heat. Simmer for 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked and the sauce has thickened, checking often that it’s not sticking.
- Scatter pomegranate seeds over the chicken. Delicious served with rice with extra chopped coriander stirred through.
You can buy pomegranate molasses in large supermarkets, delis or Middle Eastern shops – or make your own by simmering pomegranate juice until thick and sticky.