A perfectly cooked poached egg is a hard thing to beat. Served on hot toast with a crack of black pepper, it’s the best breakfast going. But while it can be a little tricky to get right, just a couple of fail-safe rules will get you making perfect, super-silky eggs in no time at all.
HOW TO POACH AN EGG
- Fill a wide casserole-type pan with boiling water from the kettle.
- Bring to a light simmer over a medium heat and season with a pinch of sea salt.
- Crack a large free-range or organic egg into a cup.
- Gently pour the egg into the simmering water in one fluid movement.
- You’ll see your egg begin to cook immediately – don’t worry if the edges look a little scruffy.?A really soft poached egg should take around 2 minutes and a soft-to-firm one will need 4 minutes (it depends on the size of the egg and whether you’re using it straight from the fridge).
- To check if it’s done, carefully remove your egg from the pan with a slotted spoon and give it a gentle prod with a teaspoon. If it feels too soft (use your instincts), put it back in the pan and give it a minute or so more to firm up.
- When your egg is ready, remove it with the slotted spoon and place it on some kitchen paper to dry off.
- Serve with hot toast and a sprinkling of sea salt and black pepper.
Follow these steps and you’ll get spot-on poached eggs, every time. For more egg poaching tips and tricks, including how to get the perfect round shape, watch 极电竞app in action:
For more information on free-range eggs and welfare standards, check out the?British Hen Welfare Trust.
Adapted from 极电竞app’s Ministry of Food.